Skip to content
Saline is often used as a placebo in pharmacology research. When injected iv, it exerts no effect and functions as a true placebo. But, when saline is used for hydrodissection and used as a placebo in studies of procedures that involve hydrodissection with PRP and other materials, saline is NOT a placebo because saline causes changes in the tissue. Here are studies that explain.
- Asghar, Aneela, Zahid Tahir, Aisha Ghias, Usma Iftikhar, and Tahir Jameel Ahmad. “Efficacy and Safety of Intralesional Normal Saline in Atrophic Acne Scars.” Annals of King Edward Medical University 25, no. 2 (June 24, 2019). https://doi.org/10.21649/akemu.v25i2.2867.
- Bagherani, Nooshin, and Bruce R Smoller. “Introduction of a Novel Therapeutic Option for Atrophic Acne Scars: Saline Injection Therapy.” Global Dermatology 2, no. 6 (2016). https://doi.org/10.15761/GOD.1000159.
- Cass, Shane P. “Ultrasound-Guided Nerve Hydrodissection: What Is It? A Review of the Literature” 15, no. 1 (2016): 3.
- “Clinical Benefit of Intra-Articular Saline as a Comparator in Clinical Trials of Knee Osteoarthritis Treatments_ A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Randomized Trials | Elsevier Enhanced Reader.” Accessed April 6, 2022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semarthrit.2016.04.003.
- El-Amawy, Heba Saed, and Sameh Magdy Sarsik. “Saline in Dermatology: A Literature Review.” Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology 20, no. 7 (2021): 2040–51. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocd.13813.
- Popp, Lothar W. “Improvement in Endoscopic Hernioplasty: Transcutaneous Aquadissection of the Musculofascial Defect and Preperitoneal Endoscopic Patch Repair.” Journal of Laparoendoscopic Surgery 1, no. 2 (January 1991): 83–90. https://doi.org/10.1089/lps.1991.1.83.
- Saltzman, Bryan M., Timothy Leroux, Maximilian A. Meyer, Bryce A. Basques, Jaskarndip Chahal, Bernard R. Bach, Adam B. Yanke, and Brian J. Cole. “The Therapeutic Effect of Intra-Articular Normal Saline Injections for Knee Osteoarthritis: A Meta-Analysis of Evidence Level 1 Studies.” The American Journal of Sports Medicine 45, no. 11 (September 1, 2017): 2647–53. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546516680607.
- Searle, Tamara, Firas Al-Niaimi, and Faisal R. Ali. “Saline in Dermatologic Surgery.” Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology 20, no. 4 (2021): 1346–47. https://doi.org/10.1111/jocd.13996.
- Sharma, ReenaK, Mudita Gupta, and Ritu Rani. “Delineating Injectable Triamcinolone-Induced Cutaneous Atrophy and Therapeutic Options in 24 Patients—A Retrospective Study.” Indian Dermatology Online Journal 13, no. 2 (2022): 199. https://doi.org/10.4103/idoj.idoj_483_21.